The non-governmental organization PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) was founded in 1980 and is dedicated to establishing and defending the rights of all animals. PETA operates under the simple principle that animals are not ours to experiment on, eat, wear, use for entertainment, or abuse in any other way. It educates policymakers and the general public about animal abuse and the kind treatment of animals. PETA is an international nonprofit charitable organization based in Norfolk, Virginia, with affiliates all over the world.
The organization believes that animals have rights and deserve to have their best interests taken into consideration, regardless of whether they are useful to humans. Like humans, they are capable of suffering and have an interest in leading their own lives.
The main core of all of PETA’s actions is the idea that it is the right of all beings to be free from harm. Our world is cursed with many serious problems and cruelty to animals is one of them. That’s why PETA believes that all people should try to stop animal abuse whenever and wherever they can.
PETA opposes speciesism, a humansupremacist worldview, and focuses its attention on the four areas in which the largest numbers of animals suffer the most intensely for the longest periods of time: in laboratories, in the food industry, in the clothing trade, and in the entertainment business. They also work on a variety of other issues, including the cruel killing of rodents, birds, and other animals who are often considered “pests” as well as cruelty to domesticated animals.
In today’s world, animal exploitation is simply unacceptable. We can eat better, educate ourselves better. We have the power to spare animals excruciating pain by making better choices about the food we eat, the things we buy, and the activities we support.
For the last 40 years, PETA has reached so many milestones and conquered so much for animal rights that it can be considered the most important name in that fight. The world has changed considerably because of the PETA’s actions, as we can see in the following timeline.
PETA’S MILESTONES FOR ANIMALS
HOW TO BE PART OF IT
All social justice movements focus on speaking up for the rights of those whose voices need to be heard. History shows that real change happens only when people speak out against injustice, which is why PETA delivers a message of total animal liberation. If you’re interested in taking part of this fight and helping people speak out for animals, here are a few ways that PETA takes action:
- Offering free leaflets, posters, stickers, and supplies about animal rights issues;
- Sending ideas and tips on speaking out for animals at home, at school, and everywhere else;
- Connecting people with a PETA staff member who can help making the biggest possible impact for animals with their local activism work;
- Giving tips and supplies for organizing a protest or setting up an animal rights information table in local communities or at schools;
- Letting you know about protests, movie screenings, and other animal rights events going on in your area;
- Occasionally giving you the opportunity to help with urgent cases in your area. You can check their website and fill out a form to start taking action on PETA’s campaigns.